Maritza Rivera Gaxiola, Ph.D.
Parenting alone? Is there a newborn, toddler, or teen at home?
Ready to renew the joy of Parenting?
I am a Mexican scientist, now based in Seattle, who has dedicated more than 15 years to learn, teach, and publish about brain physiology in different universities across the world. However, I learned that the interaction and collaborative work with parents (as a PCI Certified Parent Coach®) has no parallel in terms of the joy and professional satisfaction it brings to see people discover, design, and implement goals for themselves and their families. Parents are empowered to recognize, use, and further develop the tools they already have at hand. I am also a mother of two. In this way, I shifted from full time research at academic institutions to creating my own LLC, dedicated to various modalities of Neurofeedback Training and Parent Coaching. I am also a PCI (Parent Coach International) blogger, and was selected as the Featured Parent Coach for the Fall 2015 PCI Newsletter. I am a member of the PCI Advisory Board, representing Mexico, Central, and South America.
My approach to coaching parents is based on Appreciative Inquiry, amplifying feedback, and the concept of non-linear dynamics, because living systems, such as a family, rarely behave in a linear fashion. My work with individuals or parents goes beyond just listening: I establish a collaborative partnership to design specific, attainable goals, and to practice and implement actions towards those goals, as you are empowered to be joyful and accountable for your desired future.
In a more practical manner, here are some of the issues that we could work on together:
- Communication: Effective communication between parents, among siblings, or between parent and child.
- Time Management: Simplify, organize, and optimize your time so you can parent from your core values in a balanced fashion.
- Self-care: “Nourish the Mother so she can nourish the child” is one of my “mantras.” At the core of joyful parenting is self-care.
- Parenting Styles: Knowing more about our strengths and challenges as parents can be very helpful in tackling parenting issues.
- Connectedness: One of the most detrimental effects of stress and parenting challenges is isolation. I will coach you to stay connected to your values, to your support network, and to healthy friends and family.
- Sleep: If I were to coach you on one single thing, it would be on restorative sleep for all. This ties into and supports:
- Optimal Brain Function: Brain development, cognition, speech perception, and language acquisition are some of my areas of expertise. Knowledge and practical tools based on relevant research will be made available to you.
Fluent in both Spanish and English, I enthusiastically take mothers, fathers, or couples as clients, and have coached single mothers, adoptive parents, and blended families, for example. I am happily married and have two wonderful daughters, a dog, a fish, two guinea pigs, and five chickens. We all live in Seattle.
What Parents Say After Coaching With Me
- Browse by Location
- Search by Specialties
- Find by Name